Sometimes reheating eggs just does not sound appetizing… Meal-prep egg recipes make mornings quick and easy (like my Recipe: Eggffins) but other mornings I’m willing to sacrifice those 10 extra minutes of sleep just for a freshly cooked egg! This Egg Bake recipe lets you have that, plus everything else in the recipe can be prepped ahead of time to still make cooking it time efficient! Once everything is cooked, you can divvy up servings into separate oven-safe bowls. I used a small, glass Pyrex dish but you can also use ramekins. Prepping these into 4 small servings will make your morning even easier by just needing to add the egg and bake! I only have one Pyrex bowl though so I stored the Sausage and Sweet Potatoes in one big dish and made my bowl that morning…still pretty quick and easy though!
This breakfast is high in protein with the sausage and egg combination, plus includes a variety of vegetables like kale, peppers, mushrooms and sweet potatoes! Another easy way to include veggies in your first meal of the day, slow-digesting carbohydrates to keep you energized throughout the morning, and healthy sources of fats and proteins to help you feel full and satisfied as well! When this dish is baked, the Kale cooks to be light and crunchy and the Sweet Potatoes get crispy on the bottom of the bowl…SO GOOD! The macronutrients of this recipe come out to be 11g of carbohydrates, 32g of protein, and 9g of fat! A great balance to start your day with a healthy breakfast in order to set the momentum for the rest of your day!
1lb of Ground Sausage (any variety is fine…fat content may vary)
1 medium Sweet Potato, shredded (macros based off 200g)
2 cups Kale
1/2c diced Green Peppers
1/2c diced Mushrooms
1/4 diced Onion
4 eggs (for when you bake it)
*feel free to add in any other vegetables you’d like to this! You can use shredded Zucchini along with/instead of the Sweet Potatoes, use chopped Asparagus, other greens like Spinach, or shredded Brussels Sprouts…ect
For meal-prepping ahead of time:
- In a skillet on medium heat, cook the Sausage until lightly browned.
- Halfway through cooking, add the diced vegetables (minus the Kale)
- Just before the Sausage is finished cooking, mix in the Kale and cook until the leaves are wilted.
- Remove the Sausage and Vegetable mixture from the pan.
- In the same pan, using the oils from cooking the Sausage, cook the shredded Sweet Potato on low until they are tender and lightly browned. Make sure you stir it often so they don’t burn to the bottom!
- If you have multiple, small oven-safe bowls, put 1/4 of the Sweet Potatoes in the bottom of each bowl, topped with 1/4 of the Sausage and Vegetable mixture. If you don’t (you need at least 1 for the last step of this recipe), store them in separate containers to put into your single bowl just before cooking.
When you’re ready to bake & eat:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (depending on your oven, this could be the longest step…turn it on right when you get out of bed so that it’s ready to bake when you are!)
- In your oven-safe bowl of Sausage, Veggies and Sweet Potatoes (already prepped), make a little hole in the center by pressing the mixture down and to the sides of the bowl.
- Crack an egg into the hole you made, top with some pepper if you’d like
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes (until the whites are set…longer if you don’t like run-y yolks)
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a minute or so, and enjoy your freshly baked breakfast!
Tag me in your Food Certitude meal-prep and creations! @danielletkearns on IG 🙂